Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Dividend Investing Goal - Earn More, Work Less



Time really flies. In a blink of an eye, it is the start of a brand new year. It seems like yesterday when I first started on my dividend investing journey. Comparing my portfolio between December 2010 and now, I realised that my portfolio has grown from strength to strength. The various negative global events in 2011 actually made my dividend investing journey "easier". I finally crossed the 100k mark! There were plenty of opportunities to accumulate during corrections, and I also managed to weed out the weaker stocks in my portfolio. Experts are predicting another volatile year with slow growth and fear, which is perfect for my style of investing. At the present moment, my dividends are just barely sufficient to cover my food expense and bills. Therefore, I do not consider myself financially free yet.




Let's take a final look at how my Singapore dividend portfolio performed in 2011. 


  • My portfolio size almost doubled from S$62, 577 to S$117, 489. 
  • I collected a total of S$7, 410 in 2011. This translates into an average of S$617.50 per month
  • My portfolio annual yield is about 6.3%, which is higher than the inflation rate and the low bank interest rates.




Some of you who have been religiously following my blog  may be asking, "I thought your December update states that the monthly dividend is around S$425?" There is a difference because I am changing the way I am presenting my dividend data starting from Jan 2012. I will not include dividends collected from previous years. I will only show dividends I received for a single year. My readers told me that this is a more accurate of way of presenting my data and other dividend bloggers are using this format.


Summing up, for 2012, I aim to achieve S$700 per month in dividends while maintaining the annual yield of my portfolio above 6% at least. Wish me luck! ^^




Peace Out,
Dividend Warrior


*What's ur investment goal for 2012? Feel free to share it  in the comments section below. ^^

17 comments:

FoodieFC said...

Hi DW

double the portfolio size in a year is amazing!!! Good job.

Alvin said...

Congrats Dividend Warrior!

Glad that you prefer a slow and steady way of dividend investing. Do you consistently buy in high yielding stocks on a monthly basis?

Anonymous said...

started reading your blog like 2 3 weeks, it is really informative. thanks :)

Anonymous said...

i was looking at your 2010 list, singpost was there ( you have quoted that as stronger foundation to your portfolio), but in 2011 list, i dont see it or am seeing a shorter list?

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

LOL! I guess you have gone "metric" for 2012 ;)

I'll try out the atas burger you blog aboout many moons ago.

I think once I have settled down, I must write a post thanking you and Drizzt for inspiring on an investment theme for 2012!

tong said...

hi DW,
With inflations and costs to go up each year, can one really depend on $700 or $3000 per month of passive income without any other form of income growth for the next 20 or 25 years?? perhaps subsistence living possible ??

Dividend Tech Warrior said...

Hi Foodie,

Thanks for the compliment!

I invest roughly 60% of my salary.

Dividend Tech Warrior said...

Hi Alvin,

I usually invest more during dips in the market.

Dividend Tech Warrior said...

Hi Anonymous,

I am no longer vested in SingPost. I transfer my funds to telcos and SPH. Fortunately, I did that before the price falls to the present low.

Dividend Tech Warrior said...

Hi SMOL,

Thanks for dropping by.

I read ur post on working in Greece. Very interesting!

Yup. You should try that burger. I hope their standards are maintained.

I will be looking forward to ur post about me and Drizzt. ^^

Dividend Tech Warrior said...

Hi Tong,

Depending on passive income alone could be enough if your portfolio has reached a critical mass. E.g. Warren Buffet can just relax and share leg everyday while collecting hundreds of millions of dividends every year. Because he has a humongous portfolio.

Of course, I am not as rich as him. For me, critical mass is after the $200k mark. That is when the returns can really compound exponentially.

Regarding your question about whether it is enough for the next 20-25 years. While, this is quite subjective. For a frugal person, $500 per month is enough. For a spendthrift, $5000 per month is also not enough. It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you lead.

Calvin said...

Good job man!

Slowly but surely you will get there based on your patience and discipline.

Calvin
http://www.investinpassiveincome.com

kcraze said...

i've just found ur blog today and it's really interesting and informative for someone lyk me (student) who is interested in taking a step into the stock market. just like u, i come frm a conservative family who doesnt touch stocks and view it as a dangerous tool of investment.after putting in $ in savings acc and FD, i'm pondering wif the idea of stocks(reading more materials and stuff) b4 goin in.
hence my investment goal for 2012 will b to step into the stocks mkt and earn some $(or at least ,nt lose) and in the long run b someone like u;) u really do inspire me alot and i hope to b in ur position in a few years;)

Anonymous said...

Good job DW!

But can you help what broker did you opened your investment in stocks and REIT and how how much should be the initial investment to open it? thanks your for your support on how to be financially free.

Anonymous said...

Hi DW,

I am really impressed by your guts and your impressive portfolio. You are a living legend. I salute you and inspire to become like you one day. :)

slingswish said...

I read tru your blog really informative :) i wish to be like you as well one day. But i have many question in mind. And i just start learning about shares.

Anonymous said...

Hello DW, good job on your blog! As you accumulate your stocks, what is a good way to compute the annual percentage returns as your principal would have changed over the years? I assume your return figures now are based on a straight division of the total dividend by your current principal amount?

Thanks and keep up the good work!